Warming up your body and stretching before a race is essential to preventing injury and improving your performance. Unfortunately a lot of people skip these two important steps, especially due to not allowing enough time in between their arrival and the race start. Below is a list of warmups and stretches that are a great way to get your body prepared before the big race!
- 5 to 10 minute easy run (to help get your blood moving and loosen up any stiff muscles).
- Jumping jacks, lunges, leg swings & knee circles (great additional aerobic/dynamic warmup).
- Standing Quad Stretch
- Hamstring Stretch
- Calf Stretch
- Kneeling Hip Flexor Stretch
- Cross Legged Gluteal Stretch
- Piriformis Knee to Chest Stretch
So remember, allow enough extra time before a race to warm up and stretch – it will not only benefit your body, but your race performance too! (Please note that is is important do the warmups BEFORE the stretches, as stretching first could lead to injury.)